Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Stuffed Peppers - My go-to meal as the weather gets colder

We are all about trying to cook something Sunday that will last us a few nights during the week -- this recipe is perfect for that -- it makes a lot and Josh thinks they get better each night.  As a bonus, I added it up and the ingredients are about $17.

Ingredients
4 medium bell peppers (I avoid green because I think you end up feeling like you are burping them up all night...)
2 1/2 slides of bread
4 T chopped onion (I don't measure - I do 1/2 of a sweet vidalia onion)
4 T chopped celery (again, I don't measure it out - I do 4 or 5 stalks)
2 T butter
1 lb. ground beef (with everything added I don't think flavor is impaired too much if you do leaner meat)
1 beef bouillon cube
1 can cooked tomatoes (drained, but save liquid)
Grated cheddar cheese for top

Prepare peppers by cutting out core.

Toast bread and set aside.  Saute onion & celery in butter.

Add beef and saute until grey in color.  Season with salt, pepper, garlic salt, etc.
Notice my faithful helper!

Dissolve bouillon cube in 1/4 c. hot water and add with drained and chopped up tomatoes (remember to save liquid!).  Fold in bread crumbs.

Fill peppers with mixture.  Place in baking dish where you've poured in liquid from tomatoes in bottom (helps them to stay moist).  Cover and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or when peppers are tender and hot throughout.

Add grated cheddar cheese to the top for the last 5 - 10 minutes (uncovered).

Enjoy!

XO,
Whit

No comments:

Post a Comment