Monday, September 3, 2012

Fried Oyster Salad & Roasted Okra

Does anyone else feel like they've been eating all summer?  I feel like I've been eating and drinking, eating and drinking, eating and drinking... nice weather has us wanting to have a little app and drink outside each evening.  Moving has also given us a new reason to enjoy being in the kitchen.

A few delicious items (some are old favorites) include:

1. Fried Oyster Salad (made by Bailey last year at the beach)

Dijon Vinaigrette

2 T Dijon Mustard
2 T apple cider vinegar
2 T balsamic vinegar
1 clove roasted garlic, smashed (wrap in tin foil, coat in olive oil, bake 350 for 20 min)
3 T olive oil
1 t sugar
Salt and pepper to taste

I finally used the dressing mixer I received for a wedding gift 3+ years ago!  Nice some of the old "new" things we found by cleaning out and reorganizing via the move.


Original oyster salad recipe here.

Mine was over romaine lettuce and I included: oysters, boiled egg, sauteed shallot, tomato.

2. Shrimp Penne Pasta (Giada de Laurentis)

Josh requested this dish for his bday dinner at home.  I wanted to try something new, but obliged since he was the birthday boy.  Next time (when it isn't his bday!) I'll try with a different pasta other than penne.  I like something a little more delicate.



3. Roasted Okra

Okra is one of my favorite foods.  I loved the oven-fried version I tried a month or so ago.  This roasted version was just as tasty!  I was originally going to serve with a spicy ranch or lemon aioli, but it really didn't end up needing it (and I was hungry).

Ingredients:
8 oz. whole okra (I used frozen because it's what I had on hand)
1 clove garlic
1 T olive oil
S & P to taste

Cut the top off the okra then cut each piece length wise into about 3 thin pieces.

Mince clove of garlic.  Toss okra with minced garlic and 1T olive oil.  Spread as single layer on cookie sheet.

Bake at 425 for 8-10 minutes, flip with spatula and bake another 8-10 minutes (until brown and slightly crispy).


When they came out of the oven my convo with Josh went something like this:

Me: Hey Josh, would you like to try some okra since you liked it last time?
Josh: (pretty enthusiastically) Yes, sure!
Then he eyes my roasted okra.
That's NOT okra!

Well, I didn't give him a chance to rethink his first impression because I downed the whole plate.

One pic from the weekend -- perfect to spend a little time at the beach and some time working in the yard (pics to come) and relaxing at home.

Hope you had a wonderful Labor Day weekend.

XO,
Whit                                                 


No comments:

Post a Comment