Thursday, July 28, 2011

Oreo Chocolate Truffles

(Yes, second time in a row I featured some Herend Queen Victoria on the blog!)

First of all -- for those of you that thought my last post was sad, that was not my intention.  It was merely a reflection I wanted to share.  I am feeling completely back to myself and just needed a little space to vent.  I truly do love life and will keep this post short and sweet (no pun intended).


 
I haven't enjoyed an easy recipe this much in a LONG time.  Bailey sent it to me after receiving from a friend of ours at work (thanks, Rebecca!) ~ and being the fabulous cook she is she tweaked a little (added sea salt).  These truffles require only 3 ingredients and not too much hands-on time --- and  the end result is quite impressive.

I was going to take to supper club / going away dinner that I missed Tuesday.  Instead I've just been stuffing my face.  I took about a dozen into work today and the general consensus was that they were deluxe.

Ingredients:
1 16.6 oz. package of Oreos (I used reduced fat and thought they were perfect)
1 8 oz. package of cream cheese (again, used reduced fat)
2 boxes (8 oz. each) of Baker's semi-sweet chocolate squares
Medium to coarsely ground sea salt

In a food processor, pulse 3/4 of the package of Oreos (I did all but 7) with the softened cream cheese until it becomes a thick dough-like consistency.
My food processor is tiny, so I crushed the oreos, transferred crumbs to bowl and then used hand mixer to cream oreos and cream cheese together.

Scoop out and roll into small evenly shaped balls with your hands, a little smaller than a ping pong ball.
Pardon the unflattering action shot.

Place on wax paper. Refrigerate for about an hour or until firm.
Melt chocolate in 30 second intervals in the microwave (I did a few squares at a time).

Roll chilled balls through melted chocolate. Use two forks to lift it out, shake off excess.

Sprinkle with a pinch of salt immediately (B's secret ingredient, but go easy...a few testers told me they were a little TOO salty). Let chill to set up.


Store in airtight container in refrigerator.  

The variations to this simple recipe are endless -- I was tempted to buy the mint Oreos and try mint chocolate Oreo truffles (adding some liquor for a bit more mint flavor), Oreo peanut butter  (substitute some real peanut butter in place of a little cream cheese)...
Packing for a big weekend in Blowing Rock celebrating Ellen and Scott.  Looking forward to seeing friends and family and escaping this disgusting heat!

XO,
Whit

No comments:

Post a Comment