Monday, December 16, 2013

DIY Crib Skirt (no sewing!)

I decided to make my own crib skirt out of a very reasonable fabric I found at a local fabric store (Printer's Alley for you Raleigh peeps).  One reason I opted to do it was so I could make it where it's always the right length no matter how high / low the mattress is set with some simple adjusting and tucking.  It's also nice because it's custom and inexpensive.

Supplies needed:

  • about 2 yards of fabric (I had a fair amount left over so you may be able to do with 1.5 or 1.75 yards)
  • fabric glue
  • iron
  • measuring tape
  • pencil / pen
  • scissors


Step 1:
With the mattress on the highest setting, you'll need to start by doing some measuring.  Measure from the floor to the bottom of the mattress.  You will also need to measure the width between the end crib posts.

Step 2:
Iron fabric and then lay back out on floor.  Olivia kept thinking this was a new bed for her...

Step 3:
Cut out your 3 rectangles of fabric (one for the long side and 2 for the short sides since my crib has one long side against the wall).  My seam is 1/2 inch on each side, so the piece I cut was 1 inch longer and 1 inch wider than it needed to be finished.  Also - make sure you add an inch or two to the finished height of each rectangle so you have some excess to tuck.  I marked this all out with a pencil prior to cutting.  The circle geometric pattern made it really easy to keep all of my lines straight when cutting it out.

Step 4:
The circles in the fabric I picked were exactly 1" so it made it really easy for me to seam and keep straight lines.  I folded up each end 1/2 inch and glued with fabric glue in place.  It requires doing a little bit at a time and putting some pressure, but stays quickly and makes no glue marks.  Much easier than sewing.

Step 5:
I didn't do a good job photographing the last steps, but after my rectangles were seamed on all 4 sides I was able to easily tuck the 3 pieces between the mattress and box spring.  I started by trying to safety pin to the box spring, but it ended up not being necessary.  As the mattress is lowered as the Otto Bean grows up, I'll just tuck more and more of the crib skirt so that it is always just shy of the floor.

I ordered two pairs of crib sheets during one of Serena and Lilly's sales - Aqua Trellis Crib Sheet and the Kite Crib Sheet (they no longer have in blue, but have in green / blue and pink / purple combos).

Still working on the rest, but it's coming along!  

XO,
Whit

1 comment:

  1. Looks great!! I DIYed our crib skirt, too! It was so frustrating that even the beautiful Restoration Hardware skirts didn't "kiss" the floor when the crib is set high.

    ReplyDelete