Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Cape Cod Chopped Salad


My friend Laura invited me up for lunch one day last week and served up a variation of this Barefoot Contessa Cape Cod Chopped Salad with a quiche.  It was so delicious that my mom and I made a version we ate for a few days while they were in town for Easter weekend.  Ina nailed this one!  I plan to have this dressing on hand all summer.  

Here is how we made our version:

  • Mixed baby arugula and spring mix (as opposed to all arugula)
  • 1 large honeycrisp apple, chopped (she calls for Granny Smith)
  • 1/2 c. toasted pecans, coarsely chopped (recipe calls for walnuts)
  • 1/2 c. dried cranberries
  • We omitted the bacon and blue cheese.  I may add in protein like bacon or grilled chicken next time if eating as an entree and not a side.

We followed the dressing recipe exactly as Ina describes:
  • 3 tablespoons good apple cider vinegar 
  • 1 teaspoon grated orange zest 
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice 
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard 
  • 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup 
  • Kosher salt 
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 
  • 2/3 cup good olive oil 


In a large bowl, toss together the arugula, apple, nuts, cranberries. 

For the dressing, whisk together the vinegar, orange zest, orange juice, mustard, maple syrup, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and the pepper in a bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. 

Toss the salad with just enough dressing to moisten. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and toss well. Serve immediately. 

Enjoy!

XO,
Whit

1 comment:

  1. That's one of my favorites but the recipe I use doesn't call for orange juice or zest. I'll have to try it that way! I don't know that I've ever been disappointed by one of Ina's recipes - she's great.

    ReplyDelete